(4) Assist IVS members in identifying and obtaining
transition benefits to which they are entitled,
especially benefits which require administrative
action prior to separation.
(5) Encourage members to request skill/training
verification from the Coast Guard Institute, via the
Educational Services Officer. The regional Career
Development Adviser can explain this process.
Personnel Reporting Units (PERSRU)/and or Admin shall:
(1) Assist Commands to identify transitioning members and
their family members.
(2) Issue TA identification cards to eligible members at
(3) Assist eligible members in completing the MGIB
enrollment documentation. Should a member elect not
to enroll, a service record entry (Page 7) which
states his or her desire not to enroll in the program
is required. Specific documentation guidance is
provided in enclosure (9).
(4) Ensure documentation certifying preseparation
counseling is completed and entered into the service
record prior to discharge.
(5) Assist member in retrieval of educational/training
Retiring or Separating Members shall:
(1) Contact the cognizant TRM at least 6 months
(preferably 1 year) prior to retirement or separation
for transition information.
See enclosure (8).
JOYCE M. JOHNSON /s/
Director of Health and Safety
(1) Transition Benefit Changes For Involuntarily
(2) Transition Assistance Program Permanent Transition
(3) Transition Benefits for Involuntarily Separated
(4) SPD Codes Eligible for Involuntarily Separation