structure will normally be accepted, unless special circumstances prevail. Non-rated
(without designators) members will not be considered for an EAD contract.
(2) Reservists will be ordered to EAD at the same grade held in the Ready Reserve.
Normally, active duty vacancies at the E-7 and above levels will be filled through
enlisted advancements. However, in unusual circumstances when there are senior
grade vacancies for which a reservist is especially qualified, EAD contracts may be
offered to reserve chief petty officers.
(3) Requests for EAD from individuals serving in ratings other than the one specified may
be considered, as noted in paragraph 5.a.(1), when it appears that the applicants have
the qualifications to substitute for ratings in critical positions that would otherwise
remain unfilled. A lateral change in rating will be encouraged for those entering EAD,
and must be completed if the member subsequently desires to enlist or reenlist in the
active duty Coast Guard. Laterals will be accomplished in accordance with chapter
7.C.9. of reference (a).
(1) While on EAD, reservists will participate in the Reserve Servicewide Exam (RSWE)
competition or their names may be placed on the Reserve Supplemental Advancement
Eligibility List. The eligibility requirements for participation in RSWE competition is
found in reference (a).
(2) Reservists on EAD will not participate in the active duty advancement process.
d. Leave. Reservists on EAD are subject to the guidelines set forth in chapter 7 of reference (e).
(1) Reservists who have completed a minimum period of 12 months on EAD may request
discharge from the Ready Reserve for the purpose of immediate enlistment or
reenlistment in the active duty Coast Guard. Individuals must be eligible under the
guidelines of references (d) and (e), and a Service need must exist for the particular
(2) Enlistment or reenlistment, when authorized, shall normally be for a period of 4, 5, or 6
years. Requests for enlistment or reenlistment received from reservists serving in the
PS and IV ratings will not be approved unless the member has completed a lateral
change in rating, in accordance with chapter 7.C.9. of reference (a), to a rating that is
on the active duty Personnel Allowance List (PAL).
(a) Personnel shall be enlisted or reenlisted in the same pay grade in which they are
serving on EAD.