Enclosure (1) to COMDTINST 16451.6
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
1. MEPALT - A MEPALT is the Commandant's authorization for an alteration and is the only
authority for such an alteration. The standard form is CG-5040 and it can also be used for
approving major maintencance repair funding of standardized MEP equipment when it exceeds
unit AFC-30 budget (,000 or more).
2. Alteration - Alterations are defined as changes to the design or specifications for a particular
piece of MEP equipment and its components which serve to correct design or other deficiencies
as well as meet changes in operational requirements, eliminate safety hazards, or result in cost
3. Repairs - all work not classified as an alteration. A repair is defined as work necessary to return
an installation to its normal or authoized condition or function.
4. Class - a family of device whose functions are similar. An oil containment barrier belongs to
the class of Oil Containment Boom.
5. Type - a subdivision of class based on operational parameters or special requirements. Air
Deployable Anti-Pollution Transfer System (ADAPTS) TYPE I and III are examples of types
within a class.
6. Sub-Type - a further division of type based on a further specialization to fulfill certain
operational requirements. ADAPTS TYPE II, (Tropical) and ADAPTS TPYE II, (Arctic) are
7. MEPALT Classification - MEPALT classification is unrelated to the class of the equipment
affected. MEPALT are classified as follows:
(a) Classification A - Classification A alterations are of the utmost importance for correcting
conditions that impair the safety and significant service characteristics of the particular
piece of equipment affected.
(b) Classification B - Classification B alterations are of less urgency, but are of sufficient
importance to enhance the operational characteristics of the equipment.
(c) Classification C - Classification C are major maintenance repair authorizations which apply
to a specific individual equipment casualty. Generally the equipment description, part
number or serial number will be provided in lieu of Type, Sub-type and serial class