MAR 25 1997
(4) The evaluation board reviews this complete application. The file must contain either
College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or the American College Testing
Assessment (ACT) scores. The applicant must apply for either the SAT or ACT and
name the Coast Guard Academy as one of the schools to receive test scores.
Interested persons can obtain the preliminary application and further information by
writing directly to:
Director of Admissions
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
New London, Connecticut 06320-4195
The preliminary application must be postmarked by 15 December to receive
consideration for the class entering the following summer.
The Academy tenders appointments solely on the basis of an annual nationwide
competition. There are no Congressional appointments nor quotas for any state, district,
or special category. The competition for appointment as a cadet is based on the
candidate's high school rank, performance on either the SAT or ACT, and leadership
potential demonstrated by participating in high school extracurricular activities,
community affairs, or employment.
RESPONSIBILITY. These offices and officers are responsible for portions of the CGRIT
program, as indicated:
The Director of Personnel Management (G-WP):
(1) oversees this initiative and develops policy and guidance for the CGRIT program and
(2) participates in the Technical Advisory Group.
The Assistant Commandant for Civil Rights (G-H) participates in the Technical Advisory
Director, Coast Guard Recruiting Center (CGRC):
(1) disburses funds to the HBCUs for tuition and appropriate fees and expenses (such as
lab and athletic participation fees). CGRC establishes internal regulations on the
student fees the Coast Guard will pay as provided in 10 U.S.C. section 2005(e)(3),
and the manner for handling payment. CGRC publishes its guidelines to all cadet
candidates in the CGRIT program;
(2) oversees and administers the CGRIT contract and provides an officer to serve as the
Contracting Officer's Technical Representative (COTR) in administering it;
(3) participates in the Technical Advisory Group;