MAR 25 1997
All CGRIT applicants must submit their application to the contractor at the address shown
in enclosure (2). The usual application deadline is 15 March.
The application process has three major steps. The enclosures contain detailed application
procedures and key forms.
(1) Applicants submit a two-page preliminary application to ensure they meet basic
program requirements (e.g., citizenship, dependency status).
(2) Applicants who meet program requirements receive and complete an application
package very similar to that used at the Academy. The Evaluation Board uses this
package to select the students who will receive the primary and alternate
(3) Students who receive primary appointments receive additional materials to complete
their entry into the program. They will also be immediately scheduled for a medical
examination which they must pass to receive the CGRIT scholarship.
The contractor nominates applicants for appointment as CGRIT cadet candidates. A
board, similar to the Cadet Candidate Evaluation Board prescribed by reference (a)'s
Article 1-E-1.a(2), and comprised of officers and selected members of the Academy's
faculty and staff, will choose cadet candidates. The board may select primary appointees
up to the number of authorized Training Allowance Billets (TABs) and a suitable number
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR DIRECT APPOINTMENT TO COAST GUARD
The Coast Guard Academy annually offers approximately 460 appointments and
approximately 275 men and women accept them. Any man or woman, civilian or military,
who meets the requirements set forth in reference (a)'s Article 1-E-2 is eligible to apply for
appointment as a U.S. Coast Guard cadet. The standards are very similar to those for
CGRIT cadet candidates in enclosure (1).
The actual application process for direct appointment to the Academy is very similar to the
procedure given in enclosure (2) except for the mailing address and deadlines.
(1) Applicants submit a preliminary application form due by 15 December.
(2) The Academy subsequently sends additional information and the supplementary
forms needed to develop the applicant's formal application file.
(3) The applicant completes the supplementary forms, adds suitable documentation, and
returns the forms to the Academy by 31 January.