Enclosure (3) to COMDTINST 16630.2
POISE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROCESSES
* POISE Manager - Has overall POISE responsibility per definitions in Enclosure (2).
* Captain of the Port - will appoint a Unit POISE Webmaster. Suggested method of notification
of appointment is by letter with a copy to the District POISE Officer and the POISE Manager.
(See POISE POC list in enclosure (2)).
* Unit POISE Webmasters - will update their local POISE site with required and optional links
using Enclosure (3) as a model. In order to update their POISE site, they will need to:
Access the Coast Guard WWW Server using the WebPAL (See "Definitions").
Once in WebPAL, request access to the corresponding directory listed in the POISE POC
list. e.g. The Unit POISE Webmaster for New York would log into the WebPAL site and
request access to the following directory on the WWW Server: \hq\g-
After the WebPAL application has been approved by the G-M PCAO, the Unit Webmaster
will receive e-mail from OSCWebmaster with further instructions and a password to access
the WWW server.
Refer to the "USCG Web Server Frequently Asked Questions" website at
http://cgweb.uscg.mil/webinfo/faq/technical.html for more information and guidance on
updating WebPages and uploading them to the WWW server.
* District (m) Officers - will appoint a District POISE Officer. Suggested method of notification
of appointment is by letter addressed to the District POISE Officer, with a copy to the POISE
* District POISE Officers (DPO) will:
1. Ensure that the POISE POC list (see "Definitions") is kept updated and current by coordinating
with Captains of the Port, Unit POISE Webmasters and the POISE Manager.
2. Identify themselves via e-mail to the POISE Manager with a copy to their District (m) Officer
and the Unit POISE Webmasters within their district.
3. Conduct monthly "hyperlink testing" to ensure the accuracy of hyperlinks posted on unit
POISE sites within their districts. A number of resources tools are available on the Internet to
evaluate web pages. One such (recommended) free resource tool is NetMechanic, which is
available on the Internet to check hyperlinks. The URL for NetMechanic is
http://www.netmechanic.com. DPOs will identify "broken" or invalid hyperlinks and will
bring these to attention of the Unit POISE Webmaster via e-mail for immediate correction.
* G-M PCAO - will coordinate with the POISE Manager to approve new Unit POISE Webmasters
submitted via WEBPAL. The G-M PCAO shall also refer to the POISE POC list (see Enclosure
(1) "Definitions") to verify current Unit POISE Webmasters.