d. Selecting Officials.
(1) Assist CSA/HR specialist in identifying the competencies needed in order for an individual to
perform the work of the position; identifying targeted recruitment sources; and developing the
individual training and career development plan the intern will need to follow in order to
develop the necessary core competencies and technical skills needed to perform the work of the
(2) Finalize the intern's individual training and career development plan and communicate to the
intern the developmental assignments and performance requirements within 30 days of the
(3) Uphold merit principles in interviewing/selecting candidates for positions.
(4) Assign a mentor as soon as possible but no later than the selectee's enter on duty date. The
purpose of the mentor is to provide ongoing interaction with an individual whose experience,
knowledge, and interest will foster professional development. Additional information
regarding the mentoring program can be found in reference (C ).
7. POLICY. It is the policy of the Coast Guard to use the CGFCIP as a tool to recruit and attract
exceptional candidates from within and outside the Coast Guard for selected positions. Candidates
should have a variety of experience, academic disciplines or competencies necessary for appointment to
internships for the selected positions.
8. QUALIFICATIONS. Candidates will be evaluated using the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Qualification Standards Handbook.
9. RECRUITMENT. Interns selected for the program may be recruited from a variety of sources, e.g.,
professional organizations, various colleges and/or other institutions of higher education, referrals, etc.
Although there is no requirement to publish opportunities under the CGFCIP, a vacancy announcement
may be posted to assist in recruitment efforts.
10. RECRUITMENT BONUSES, ETC. Recruitment/retention tools available by regulation, including
recruitment bonuses, superior qualifications appointments, retention allowances, and student loan
repayments, in accordance with reference (d) and (e) may be used where appropriate.
11. CANDIDATE EVALUATION AND SELECTION. The HR specialist determines basic qualifications
and verifies and assigns veterans' preference. Referral procedures will be done in accordance with
reference (f). The Ranked order is typically used when the position requires specialized skills (e.g. GS-
9 level) and the Unranked order is preferable for jobs that require no specialized qualifications and
where applicants have substantially the same qualifications (e.g. GS-5 and GS-7 level). For those
positions, at the GS-5 and GS-7 level subject to the Luevano Decree, assessment tools permitted under
the Decree must be used.