4. COVERAGE. This Instruction applies to appropriated fund civilian General Schedule positions in the
5. BACKGROUND. Reference (b) established the Federal Career Intern Program to attract exceptional
candidates to the Federal workforce, who have diverse professional experiences, academic training, and
competencies, and to prepare them for careers in analyzing and implementing public programs.
Individuals are appointed to a 2-year internship. Upon successful completion of all the requirements of
the internship, the interns are eligible for noncompetitive conversion placement to a target position
within the agency. Each agency using the Federal Career Intern Program is required to develop specific
agency policies and procedures for the operation of the Program.
a. Office of Civilian Personnel, Workforce Management Division (G-WPC-2).
(1) Development of the CGFCIP to ensure compliance with law and merit system principles.
(2) Measure and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of the CGFCIP.
b. Office of Civilian Personnel, Human Resources Operations (G-WPC-1).
(1) Implement the CGFCIP.
(2) Provide advice and assistance to supervisors and employees regarding the CGFCIP.
(3) Assist management in identifying the competencies needed in order for an individual to
perform the work of the position; identifying appropriate targeted recruitment sources of
candidates with appropriate background, skills, or education; and developing the individual
training and development plan to identify the core competencies and technical skills needed to
perform the work of the position.
(4) Make final determination as to eligibility, qualifications, grade level and effective date of
appointment for selected interns.
(5) Review requests to pass over a veteran's preference eligible.
(6) Grant extensions to two (2) year internships for up to an additional 120 days to cover rare or
(7) Make employment offers.
(8) Maintain case files.
c. Office of Civilian Personnel, Workforce Development and Sustainment Division (G-WPC-3).
Assists supervisors/managers and Command Staff Advisors (CSA)/Human Resources (HR)
specialists in designing individual training and career development plans for interns.